Wednesday 11 March 2020

HOW TO SURVIVE THE VIRUS!

Hi Escapees!

IMG_3753.jpeg

I took this to show you the sky!   For the past three days a cloud has not dared enter our air space!

It is warmer outside this morning than in our overheated casa.   Observe the weeping willows.  These are always early but not this early, the daffodils are nearly over, I have mown the lawn already and it feels like May weather.

Apart from that I have no good news and even the above makes me feel as though some awful doom is about to befall the human race.

If you are into the media you would be forgiven for believing it has already fallen but we are being typically British.   Stiff upper lip and still buggering on!   

As of yesterday we cannot take our cars out of Cortona airspace unless we download a form, fill it in and prove that we have some life or death situation that needs our presence.   The fact that there is not a police force large enough to enforce this law leaves me feeling ambivalent towards the whole shut-down situation.

Aziz went to London against my superior advice and now finds that all his meetings have been cancelled as they don’t want anything to do with a gypsy Albanian from Italy so now he is trying to return on the last flight out of Stansted on Friday, if its not cancelled by Ryanair due to lack of passengers!

The pluses outweigh the minuses.   I know he is entering a no-go area but the alternative is worse.  He is worrying about us out here, he doesn’t know where the kitchen is in London, he boils eggs in the electric kettle and food is something that you get in restaurants or served by an aged retainer called a wife!

He is coming from a country with only a few cases and as long as he is lucky on the aeroplane and wears a boiler suit and gas mask he will be okay once he is on the farm.   We have signed a form for Agostino to go and pick him up in Perugia so what can go wrong!!!?

I will be lucky if I don’t catch something as I have been surrounded by workmen dressed up like Aliens fixing the alarm system and yet another three mechanics trying to fix the boiler.   I am getting used to cold water swimming every morning in my bathroom and the sooner Mirko fixes my kitchen and buys us a new boiler the better.


IMG_3740.jpeg

We bump elbows every morning!  




   IMG_3748.jpeg

The garden is bursting into bloom and is the only thing to celebrate at the moment.


IMG_3754.jpeg

Came in handy for Ladies Day.

I was hanging on to the fact that you were all coming home soon to cheer up this panic ridden part of paradise but now I hear that Susie and Rowan cannot get flights, Christy and David are holed up in San Francisco, Coco is not coming to see the improvements to her villa and so the few of us left to fight the good fight will just have to hunker down for the next two months and hope we all survive.

It reminds me of conversations with my Mother who lived in central London during the 2nd W.W. blitz.  Hitler was getting ever closer on the other side of the channel, the Zeppelins were hovering, the Doodlebugs were flying overhead and wantonly killing her neighbours and yet she and my father calmly walked to the local cinema twice a week to see the latest release and the Pathe News!

She did carry a stainless steel pan over her head to stop the shrapnel from ruining her hairdo!


IMG_2675.jpeg


I know our predicament is not as serious but it is quite weird looking out our valley and wondering what is to come.   Not sure why Italy is so badly hit.  

I send love to you all and as soon as this scare is over please come back as you are all missed.




1 comment:

elizabeth maddison said...

Did Aziz get back to italy?